Sunday, January 11, 2009

Teddy Bear Assembly Line

I dreamed about teddy bear cupcakes last night. Seriously. Probably because I decorated teddy bear cupcakes yesterday...over and over and over again. I always forget how much more work cupcake decorating is than cake decorating. Just when you finish, you realize that it was just the first one, and there's 11 more to do!

This is what cake-decorating does to my kitchen...


Actually this was probably my easiest cake order yet. These teddy bears turned out cuter than I expected, and once I got my method down, each one got easier and the work went a little bit faster. My total hands-on time was just 2 hours...my fastest decorating time yet!
This particular order was for a cute little 1-year-old's birthday. (If you click on that link and scroll down a bit, you'll see sweet Jack. My friend Mandi took his photo awhile back, and she passed my cake-biz info along to his mom. Thanks, Mandi!) Anyways, Jack's mama requested teddy bear cupcakes, and neither one of us could find an example of them anywhere. The closest I could come up with were the Panda Bear cupcakes in my "Hello, Cupcake!" book:


So I used these pandas as a rough template/idea springboard, and this is what I came up with:

(Mama couldn't decide if she wanted just teddy bear faces, or teddy bears with bodies, so she asked for a half dozen of each.)
Here are the fellas all packaged up and ready to go on a (stressful!) ride across town. I was afraid their heads might slide off during the drive. Thankfully, no casualties!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are so cute! I love the full body ones!

Anonymous said...

Cute cute cute!!!!! Oh my goodness I love them! And they look super yummy too!!

Anonymous said...

Great Job. I am always impressed!

Anonymous said...

They were a huge hit and came out even more amazing than I could have anticipated. I'm passing your name along to everyone. Did you see the one woman that stopped me before I was even out the door at church to ask about them!!!

Photos of the teddy bear army being devoured here: hillmancrew.blogspot.com.

Thanks for your wonderful effort!!!!

Anonymous said...

As a friend (and former 4th grade student of) Jack the Bear's grandma, I was so happy to come across these. They're really wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I love starting my day reading Cakespy's blog and today I get the big surprise of finding Favorite Former Student Jessie has included my sweet grandson,Jack the Bear's first birthday cupcakes. A+++ to Jess, Christy,the "Cupcaker" and Mandi, the Mom and Photographer!
Barb aka "Mrs. H"

Anonymous said...

I saw these on cakespy and thought they were soooo cute I had to link to you on my blog as well.

Great work!

NAOmni

Anonymous said...

VERY Cute! Thanks for linking up!