Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Little Background

About me:

I'm fairly new to cake decorating, but am at the point in my life where I want to make it more than just a hobby. (Or at least try to make it a semi-lucrative hobby.) :) "Officially" I'm a physical therapist, but since having my sweet baby girl just over a year ago, I've transitioned to being a work-at-home mom, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Currently I work (very) part-time, mostly just to maintain my professional credentials, (and slowly shrink those pesky student loans!) But recently I decided it would be nice to have a way to earn some extra cash while working from home. And to have a creative outlet! Thus...the idea for Sweets 'n Stuff was born. I've made cakes for my nieces, my own daughter, and friends, and now I'm ready to expand. It seems my 'specialty,' if you can even call it that, has so far been kids' birthday cakes.

My designs:

I'm willing to try any Wilton designs you send my way; if I need to purchase a special pan, a small fee will be added to my regular charge, or you can purchase the pan yourself and simply loan it to me. I can also reproduce an image of a favorite character or design on top of a cake, as long as it's not too complicated. The most challenging image I've done so far is Shrek. My new favorite sweets book is Hello, Cupcake! I recently purchased this book and am just itching to try out these adorable cupcake designs. Feel free to check out this book from the public library, or browse through it the next time you're at Borders or Barnes & Noble, and let me know which cute creation you'd like me to make for your next occasion! Personally I'm looking forward to making the pumpkin cupcakes this Halloween. You can view photos of some of the cakes I've done in my Picasa web album, which has a link on the tool bar to the right.

Details:

I need at least one weeks' notice for any orders, but 2 would be preferable so I have plenty of time to gather supplies. For moms (or dads) on a budget, if you'd prefer to bake your own goods and bring them to me to simply decorate, I'm willing to do that as well, for a discounted price. Price per cake will be at my discretion, based on the complexity of the design, my estimated cost and hours to make, and will be quoted up front. I'm hoping to keep them in a range of $20-40 for an average birthday cake. So....if you're interested, leave a comment and I'd love to do business with you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christy - I'm so excited for you! This is a GREAT business venture for you and you better believe I am sending ANY cake needs your way! Shrek was a HUGE hit (I'll be emailing you a proper thank you - feel free to use it on a testimonials page if you want!) I can't wait to see what more you come up with, you are so creative and talented :-) Thanks again for Shrek, we loved him :-)

Oh, and when you decide you have some printing needs (biz cards, fliers, brochures of your services, etc) seriously - go talk to my dad at Alpha Copies (shares the building with Campus Book Store, corner of Lynn and Lincoln Way). He will give you the best pricing you'll find (tell him who you are and that you made his grandson very happy at his birthday party and he'll probably give you a discount) Anyway, seriously talk to him, AC does great work, has awesome customer service, and your wallet will thank you ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'll pass this on to brandon's mom. she may know of some people in ames who are interested!

Anonymous said...

It must be the new thing for stay at home momma's. Shaylyn is doing it too. You guys should get some ideas from eachother. She's got photos on her facebook. Great job!!

Anonymous said...

Christy,

My husband is throwing myself, my mother-in-law and my sister-in-law a birthday party on Saturday Oct. 18th.
Since our Birthdays are close together we are trying to do them together (saves time)

I am not looking for anything fancy.
We are adults and I am not picky at all as to what the design would be.

All i need it to say is Happy Birthday Mom, Rachel and Bethany.

If you need more information you can reach me at 450-4239.

Thanks